It is becoming more and more evident to Elrohir that the Canon may be behind some of the actions going on at Aegis Pass. The ranger is still not completely convinced, but he is convinced that he doesn't trust the Canon.
During the goblin invasion, the townspeople were rounded up and put into a lodge led by default militia leader Aralias. Leigh beats feet to Shandalahar and Brommer is near death. Sheriff Gage addressed the town, followed by the counselman Dickinson who then deferred to the Lord High Protector - Elrohir.
After speaking to the town, the heroes (specifically Elrohir and Miran) get summoned to speak to Canon Overbey (who conveniently was absent during the raid).
The party enters the Temple and advances to speak to the Canon. Immediately upon entrance Randthalas is bombarded with voices in his head telling him that "she is still here" and to "please help us", "We are underneath the temple". Randthalas doesn't let it show that spirits are talking to him.
The Cano
n turns to the party, and the group immediatley notice a tiny cloaked figure behind canon. Elrohir knew immediately it was a drow. "There is nothing good to come from drow. This seals it for me." Elrohir thinks to himself.Overbey begins to speak, but not in the soft, iffeminate voice the heroes are used to hearing, it is low, raspy, and crackling with power. He stares down each of the heroes as he speaks:
"Our temple has been defiled, my own chambers looted! I have been attacked and suffered yet more injuries at the hands of man kinds most terrible enemies. Now the Emissary of Ulek has come, and he has witnesses the pitiful weakness of our defenses"
The Canon then makes it a point to stare down Elrohir as he continues to speak:
"I am warning you sir knight, I am equally near the crown as you - this one (pointing to Miran) had ordered one of the visiting rogues to break into my chambers. You will find on his person 4 rings of distinct appearance, one my personal seal, property of this church, protected by the crown. The theft of which are punishable by death.
As for Ms Gage's roll in the theft, I cannot guess what she hoped to accomplish by violating this holy temple or where her allegiance lies - with the rogue and his crew or with the crown. I demand you relieve her of her office immediately until I can have an official investigation conducted after this is over. I will, in light of her recent tragedy, not seek her execution as punishment for this crime."
The Canon notices Miran's seething rage and smiles an evil grin. "Perfect, just how I like it." Overbey says to himself.
He then takes a deep breath and continues:

He then takes a deep breath and continues:
"Worse, the emissary has brought WARNING. There is a battalion of monsters marching west towards Ulek. Our allies there are in great danger, and our alliance could crumble if they attack Fort Blackfoot on the other side of the pass. I am dispatching a letter with the emissary pledging our assistance but it will not count for much if the emissary has no reason to believe we are competent!"
"Make this town safe again and do it now! Start by rounding up the thieves before they make off with the payroll Sir Wallace has with him. Do it before the workers arrive next week. The emissary has agreed to delay his return 2 days to witness your progress. I suggest you do not delay yourselves here with me any longer"
Without showing an ounce of emotion, Elrohir takes a step forward, pointing his finger directly at the Canon:
"Canon. Listen to me right now. Your bloviating might work with your minions, whoever or whatever they may be, but it will not work on me. I don't know what you are talking about with your office being defiled, but if the Sheriff was here it was probably trying to come to you for help and looking for you and on top of that making sure you were ok. I'm glad you were able to take the time to inventory your treasures instead of coming to see if everyone was ok."
"Obviously you weren't around."
The ranger takes a another step forward. Overbey gulps. The emissary doesn't move.
"We are out there bleeding and fighting for this town and we will continue to do so. When this town has needed you the most - you were not around and I can only imagine you won't be there the next time. The Sheriff you speak so highly of was out there fighting. Not you."
"My recommendation to you good sir would be to be careful who you are making friends with........and enemies! I also recommend you get this mess cleaned up. Doesn't make for good appearances. As I know you are well aware, perception is reality."
Elrohir then places his hand on Miran's arm and gently gives her a nudge to exit. The look on Miran's face would be enough to scare off an ogre. She growls words under her breath and turns to leave.
As the party exits the temple, Elrohir pulls Randthalas to the side:
"My friend. Are you allright? I couldn't help but notice your distraction in there?"
"I heard the voices of the dead. All warning me. They are angry. I
believe their remains have been disturbed. They also told me that "she"
is alive and can be saved. They went silent when we were in proximity of the Canon." The druid said.
"The she being the sheriff's mother perhaps? We will discuss this further at the lodge." Elrohir replies.
"The she being the sheriff's mother perhaps? We will discuss this further at the lodge." Elrohir replies.
Elrohir cocks his head and chuckles at the druid, "Wow really rand? NOW you are beginning to worry...:"
The ranger claps his druid friend on the shoulder and the friends share a small laugh, one of few to be had during these times, as they walk back to the lodge.
The young sheriff, still red-faced, is not much in a chuckling mood at this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment